Your safety is our priority
Your safety and security are top priorities for Edmonton International Airport, our daily visitors, airlines, agencies and service providers.
Follow these guidelines to clear security quickly and smoothly.
Prepare for your security screening
Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) is responsible for screening all passengers and personnel and their belongings at the airport. Always check with CATSA if you are unsure about what you can bring onto a flight.
Have your boarding pass ready
- Be prepared to present your boarding pass and identification several times during security screening
- Remember to take your boarding pass and documentation when you leave security
Screening personal items (carry-on baggage, outerwear, personal items)
- Place your hand baggage and personal items into the plastic trays for screening
- Do not bring wrapped gifts through security. Place wrapped gifts in your checked luggage or wrap them after security or at your end destination. This will speed up your time in line. If you have anything wrapped – be prepared that an officer may need to unwrap the gift
- Remove laptops and all other electronic devices (phones, tablets, e-readers)
- Place them in the trays and do not overlap or place other items on top
Liquids, gels and aerosols
- Liquids, gels and aerosols in containers up to 100 ml/100 g (3.4 oz) are permitted
- Place your liquids and gel items in a clear 1L plastic bag and place the bag into the screening bin
- Visit CATSA’s Liquids, Non-solid Food & Personal Items page to see full requirements, including information on baby food and medicine
- Remove all coats, scarves and outerwear, and place in the screening bin
- For US destinations: remove your shoes and place in the bins
- For domestic and international destinations: only remove shoes if they have metal in them (steel-toed boots or shoes with metal heels)
Check your pockets
- Remove any small items, especially keys and coins, from your pockets and place into your bin
- Load your plastic bins and carry-on luggage onto the screening belt as required
Strollers, wheelchairs and other items
- CATSA agents will provide guidance on where and how to proceed
Proceed through the metal detectors as directed
- Some passengers or baggage may be selected for additional screening
- Remember to collect all of your personal items before you leave security
Security checkpoints at EIA
Central Security (domestic and international flights)
If you are travelling within Canada or to an international destination (not US), you will use Central Security after you have checked into your flight.
Central Security is located between Hudson News and Travel + Leisure on Departures Level 2.
US Departures Security
After you check-in for your direct flight to the US, remain on the Departures level and walk south, passed the Delta check-in counters.
You will enter a wide corridor passed the WestJet (US) check-in counters.
Drop your checked bags on the US bag drop belt and proceed to the south end of the building.
You will reach US Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) and continue into our US Departures Lounge.