Flying a drone
Know the rules before you fly a drone
More and more people are flying drones in Canada.
To ensure everyone’s safety, Transport Canada has set rules and regulations for the safe use of drones in Canada.
Important: you may not fly your unauthorized drone within 5.6 km of the airport.
You must understand the legal requirements when flying drones.
For safety, fly your drone:
- Where you can see it at all times
- Below 122 metres (400 feet) in the air
- Away from bystanders, at a minimum distance of 30 metres for basic operations
- Away from emergency operations and advertised events
- avoid forest fires, outdoor concerts and parades
- Away from airports and heliports
- 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from airports
- 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports
- Far away from other aircraft
- Don’t fly anywhere near airplanes, helicopters and other drones
Penalties and fines
You could face serious penalties, including fines or jail time, if you break the rules.