Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) is one of Canada's most famous infantry regiments. It is one of only three Regular Force infantry regiments in service today. The Regiment is comprised of three battalions and forms the infantry nucleus of 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group. The First and Third Battalions (1 PPCLI and 3 PPCLI respectively) are garrisoned at Steele Barracks, Canadian Forces Base Edmonton, at Edmonton, Alberta. The Second Battalion (2PPCLI) is garrisoned at Kapyong Barracks, Canadian Forces Base Shilo, at Shilo, Manitoba.
At the outbreak of World War One, the Regiment was founded for immediate overseas service. The founding of the Regiment was initiated by Andrew Hamilton Gault's proposal to the Government of Canada. His personal contribution of $100,000 was essential for initial recruitment, financing and equipping. The Regiment bears the name of HRH Princess Patricia of Connaught, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Her father, HRH Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn was Governor-General of Canada, 1911-1916. The Regiment, being the first in the field, quickly established a reputation for strong leadership, dedicated service and selfless sacrifice that remains to this day.
Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry has served with distinction in World Wars One and Two, Korea, Germany during the Cold War, Cyprus, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo and more recently, in Afghanistan.
The Regiment has been awarded 39 battle honours, a United States Presidential Distinguished Unit Citation (for actions at Kapyong, Korea) and two Commander-in-Chief Commendations for its overseas service (Medak Pocket, Croatia and Kandahar Province, Afghanistan). For more information, please visit ppcli.com