Our reconciliation journey
We are committed to establishing trusting and authentic relationships with our Indigenous neighbours, organizations and communities. These relationships are essential in supporting our reconciliation journey and creating an “Airport for Everyone.”
Over several years, we have engaged in many initiatives to support this commitment.
- Build and support good relations between YEG, Indigenous Peoples and organizations that serve Indigenous Peoples
- Incorporate Indigenous Awareness Training for YEG workforce
- Ensure a dedicated focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) through a formal organizational DEI committee
- Create a sense of place in the terminal to showcase Indigenous history and culture, including YEG’s Indigenous Interpretive and Retail Centre
- Continue working with an Elders and Knowledge Keepers Circle to guide our work
- Ensure Indigenous participation in YEG initiatives
- Focus on working with Indigenous vendors for YEG events
- Acknowledge and celebrate Indigenous holidays and days of reflection
- Support Indigenous tourism, including a partnership with Indigenous Tourism Alberta
- Collaborate with Indigenous partners to create youth employment and training opportunities in aviation sector
To learn more about Indigenous inclusion and partnership opportunities at YEG, please contact Chelsey Quirk, Manager of Indigenous and Stakeholder Relations.