Spring Break Travel Tips from EIA
March 28, 2014 | General
Your vacation should start as soon as you get to the airport
(Edmonton, AB) – Spring Break is one of the busiest weeks of travel for Edmonton International Airport (EIA), as school lets out and families make their way to travel destinations across North America and the world. Weekly traffic during Spring Break will be about 160,000 passengers, which is 16,000 – 20,000 more than average.
To enjoy your spring travels to any of EIA’s more than 60 non-stop destinations, please remember the following tips:
- Arrive early, depart on time: Spring break is a busy time at the airport. Plan to leave earlier than you normally would to give yourself a little extra time to check in and clear security, stress free. Check www.flyeia.com to confirm your flight time before leaving for the airport.
- Allow extra time for weather: It’s Alberta Spring! Inclement weather can slow traffic to and from the airport so allow extra time if the forecast is for snow, fog or rain.
- Enjoy expedited security screening with NEXUS: If you become a NEXUS member you can enjoy expedited security screening using dedicated lines when travelling within Canada and on flights between major Canadian and US airports. If you are accepted, you can use the Trusted Traveller CATSA Security Line which simplifies the border clearance process for low-risk travellers into Canada and the United States. The cost of Membership is $50 for a five-year term. Register online at www.nexus.gc.ca .
- Save time and money on parking: All parking lots are open so there are plenty of airport parking options. Make your reservations for one of our parking options at www. https://flyeia.com/coming-and-going/parking. Check in to your WestJet flight and park at the same time with the jetSet parking service. Book parking online at www.jetsetparking.com and save up to 25 per cent. You can check in with WestJet and drop your bags for domestic and international flights at the jetSet lobby or even tag your own bag for any flight at jetSet bus shelters.
- Celebrate our newest non-stop – Dallas/Fort Worth: Play Find the Cowboy for a chance to win two tickets to any of EIA’s 61 non-stop destinations, including Dallas/Fort Worth and win an extra $1,000 if you are an EIA rewards member. Plus enjoy these Texas specials: $5 off a Pick-me-up Box of Cookies and enjoy special sampling and menu items from Wings.
- Join EIA rewards to be entered in to monthly contests to win free flights. Plus, you’ll receive exclusive discounts for parking, shopping, and dining. To celebrate our newest non-stop destination Dallas/Fort Worth, EIA rewards is giving away two return tickets to any one of our 61 non-stop destinations, including Dallas/Fort Worth. Become a rewards member at www.flyeia.com/rewards and you’re automatically entered to win.
- Tag your own bags and save time: Air Canada and WestJet now offer self-baggage tagging on the terminal to speed up check-in. The process is simple: print your tags along with your boarding pass when you check in at a self-serve kiosk. If you checked in via the web, scan your boarding pass at a kiosk to print your tags.
- Pack for easy security screening: Pack your own bags. Travel light and minimize carry-on; this will help you move through security screening quickly. Remember, if you are bringing liquids and gels in your carry-on luggage, containers must be no larger than 100 ml. Pack larger containers in your checked luggage. If you are unsure about an item you wish to take through security, please check CATSA’s web site Pack Smart to make pre-screening easy.
Now you are set to enjoy your spring break! Whether it is a new destination or a family tradition, enjoy, relax, have fun and play safe!