Spring Break Travel Tips from EIA
March 27, 2017 | General
Your vacation should start as soon as you get to the airport
(Edmonton, AB) – Spring Break is one of the busiest weeks of travel at Edmonton International Airport (EIA), as school lets out and families make their way to travel destinations around the world. Daily traffic during Spring Break will reach about 24,000 passengers, which is 4,000 more than average.
To enjoy your spring travels to Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Maui or any of EIA’s 60 non-stop destinations, please remember these tips:
- Check in online. You can use online check in services and even print your boarding passes ahead of time and then tag your own bags at an airport kiosk to save time.
- Pack for easy security screening: Pack your own bags. Travel light and minimize carry-ons; this will help you move through security screening quickly. If you are bringing liquids and gels in your carry-on luggage, containers must be no larger than 100 ml. Pack larger containers in your checked luggage. If you are unsure about an item you wish to take through security, please check CATSA’s website catsa.gc.ca to make pre-screening easy.
- Arrive early, depart on time: Spring Break is a busy time at the airport. Plan to leave earlier than you normally would to give yourself a little extra time to check in and clear security, stress free. Check flyeia.com to confirm your flight time before leaving for the airport.
- Allow extra time for weather: It’s Alberta Spring! Inclement weather can slow traffic to and from the airport so allow extra time if the forecast is for snow, fog or rain.
- Save time and money on parking: Park on the right side of the highway within walking distance or a short shuttle ride from the terminal. From first class valet service to affordable surface lot parking, EIA has a parking spot for every need. Explore our parking options and make your reservation at flyeia.com/parking. Or check out our parking partner, jetSet Parking to up save 30 percent on your next visit. WestJet guests can check-in and drop their bags for at the jetSet main office or tag their own bags for any flight at the shelters.
- Enjoy expedited security screening with NEXUS: If you become a NEXUS member you can enjoy expedited security screening using dedicated lines when travelling within Canada and on flights between major Canadian and US airports. If you are accepted, you can use the Trusted Traveller CATSA security line which simplifies the border clearance process for low-risk travellers into Canada and the United States. The cost of membership is $50 for a five-year term. Register online at nexus.gc.ca.
- Shop, Dine, Relax: Arriving hungry? Forgot your headphones or book at home? With 60 shops, restaurants and services, we will prepare you for take-off. Satisfy your taste buds at any of our family friendly restaurants including our newest offerings, Edmonton Eskimos Sports Bar and Gretzky’s Wine & Whisky. Explore the airport and plan your next trip even before you arrive with our terminal map. We have put together a few ways for you to save when you shop, dine and relax. Download the coupons at flyeia.com/savings.
- Join EIA rewards to be entered into monthly contests to win free flights. You will also receive exclusive discounts for parking, shopping and dining. Become a rewards member at flyeia.com/rewards, and you’re automatically entered to win.
Enjoy your Spring Break!