Improved security screening opening at EIA
June 27, 2019 | General
Enjoy your summer vacation with a few simple tips
(Edmonton, AB) – A new security area is opening at Edmonton International Airport (EIA) this summer that will help make travel faster, smarter and easier for travellers as summer vacation season moves into high gear.
Federal partners have installed CATSA Plus, a screening system that will enhance the travel experience for local and international passengers. To improve the overall experience, EIA created the necessary larger pre-screening area at Central Security, which will open in the coming weeks.
“Security and safety are our top priorities, and we know the travel experience can be stressful for some, so we’ve made this investment with both the experience and safety in mind.”
- Tom Ruth, EIA President and CEO
Features of the new Central Security:
- An investment of $8.5 million by EIA for the larger pre-screening area
- An increase in space by 280 per cent with a secure entrance designed to accommodate current and future technologies
- Redesigned entrance, with frosted glass walls designed to be reminiscent of Alberta’s mountainous and tree-filled landscape
- Upgraded Liquids, Aerosols and Gels disposal stations outfitted with plumbing systems to be more sanitary than previous systems and quicker to dispose of liquids for passengers.
The features of CATSA Plus will make clearing security easier for passengers. Four people can load bins simultaneously, compared to one previously. The system includes a fully motorized bin tracking and return system, for virtually no waiting – just fill it up and walk through! CATSA Plus enhances security effectiveness by tracking items through the screening process and automatically separating those items requiring search.
Summer Travel Tips from EIA
During the summer, many passengers will be coming to the airport for their annual vacation, or perhaps even their very first trip. Summer vacations shouldn’t be stressful. Follow a few easy tips to start your trip off the best way possible.
- Save time, check in online! You can use online check-in services and even print your boarding passes ahead of time and then tag your own bags at an airport kiosk.
- Pack smart! Check out CATSA’s website for size restrictions on carry-on liquids, food and gels, and be sure to review the list of prohibited items on aircraft. catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en.
- Park like a pro! From first class valet service to affordable surface lot parking, we have a parking spot for every need. Explore our parking options and make your reservation at flyeia.com/parking.
- Navigate the airport! Use our new interactive map tool to locate your check-in counter and boarding gate, the closest water bottle refill station, and your new favourite store or restaurant: maps.flyeia.com.
- Don’t rush! Leave yourself plenty of time to get to the airport and get settled in before your flight. We recommend coming two hours early.
- Get the inside scoop! Join our EIA rewards program to get exclusive discounts on parking and airport services and be entered to win one of six flight prizes every year! flyeia.com/rewards.